SSC MTS Tips for English Language Section: Tips, Tricks, and Strategy
SSC MTS tips for English Language Section
As SSC is currently accepting applications for SSC MTS exam, candidates who have already applied are looking for important tips for English Language preparation. For the candidates who are yet to apply can apply till 3rd December 2018. Applicants can check this post in order to get the best tips and tricks to prepare for SSC MTS. Well, preparation is the key and if you are looking to clear SSc MTS exam, You must follow the basics right.
SSC MTS tips for English Language Section: Tips to prepare for SSC MTS
The English Section comprises of 3 areas that you need to focus on:
- Reading comprehension
- Verbal Ability
#1. Grammar: The Grammar section comprises of around 5-10 questions asked from like tenses, articles, prepositions, degrees of comparison, subject-verb agreement, conjunctions, parts of speech, standard construction, adverbs, the number in nouns, etc
Parts of Speech:
The most significant part of English Grammar:
The Eight Parts of Speech
How are Clauses used in Sentences?
Clauses can play a play role as grammatical connectors in a sentence by acting as a noun, adjective or adverb.
There are three types of Clauses:
Noun Clause, Adjective Clauses and Adverbial Clauses. The clauses are known for the choice of words used. Use of nouns, turn them into noun clause, use of adjectives turn them into adjective clauses and use of adverbs turn them into adverbial clauses.
#2. Reading comprehension
Reading Comprehension section is often time-consuming. The SSC MTS exam is an exam where time is very limited. It is advisable to divide your time appropriately considering the time that is given to you.
You will find the following questions on the following topics
- Cloze Test
- Fill in the Blanks (Double blanks)
Idioms and Phrases: Let us look at the phrase ‘Ball is in your court” – It shows that it is up to you to take the decision and the onus of the decision is entirely yours. The English language has hundreds of phrases, while some of them are more commonly used, the usage of others is less common. The phrase conveys this in a simple way making it open to interpretation. Another example of Idioms and Phrases – “Beat around the bush”. It means that the person is avoiding the main topic of discussion and talking about things that are more irrelevant to the discussion.
One Word Substitution: You need to find the right word to substitute a lengthy sentence with a single word
#3. Verbal Ability
- The section contains questions on Para Jumbles, questions on paragraph completion. Para jumbles is usually a group of sentences that are jumbled up and need to be rearranged. You need to understand the questions in the right context to rearrange them.
- Follow the sequence of the passage and keep the overall message of the passage and understand the story from the beginning to the end.
- Look for indications and connecting words or conjunctions that connect the story.
- The odd sentence out is another subject that will be asked in the Verbal ability section.
General SSC MTS tips for English Language Section
- The English language cannot be learned in a day and you need to read more to become an expert.
- Read More to Improve language. Read Books, Magazines and Newspapers to enhance your vocabulary.
- Study the basics of grammar and this can be done even from school level grammar books to strengthen your basics.
- Read the Newspaper editorial and opinion columns to improve your English.
- Cloze test has become a very important part of the section. Do not forget to prepare for the cloze test.
- Read English-Hindi Dictionary or English-Regional Language Dictionary as this is of immense help.
MTS Job Profile :
MTS or Multi Tasking Staff is a Group C Cadre position that is created as per the recommendation of the 6thCPC. Group D posts include positions like peon, Daftary, Farash, Chowkidar, Cleaner, Jamadar, Gardner, Junior Gestetner operator. These posts are clubbed together to be called as MTS.
SSC MTS Exam pattern 2018
SSC Multitasking Staff Exam consist of two stages:
- Stage 1 – Written exam
- Stage 2 – Descriptive exam
The written exam consists of a total of 150 marks for a duration of 2 hours.
⇒Written Exam (Paper-I) Objective Type
⇒Descriptive Exam (Paper II)
|Short Essay/Letter in English
or any Language included
in 8th Schedule of the Constitution
Things to Remember about the SSC MTS Exam:
- Negative marking of 0.25 marks for wrong answers.
- Paper I will consist of Objective Type MCQs only. The exam will be in both languages i.e in English & Hindi.
- Paper II is of qualifying nature and will only test your elementary skills. Only those who qualify the paper I will be eligible for Paper II.
Salary of SSC MTS:
SSC MTS belongs to group C cadre which is non-gazetted, non-ministerial post and falls under the pay band of Rs. 5200 to Rs. 20200 and a grade pay of Rs. 1800.
Distribution of Questions in SSC MTS
|Idiom and Phrases-
|One Word Substitution-
|Fill in the blanks-
Important Books to Prepare for SSC MTS: SSC MTS tips for English Language Section
- Word Power by Norman Lewis (Penguin)
- High School Grammar & Composition by Wren and Martin (S.Chand Publishers)
- English for General Competitions: from Plinth to Paramount (Volume – 1) – Neetu Singh (KD Publications)
- English for General Competitions: (Volume – 2)-Neetu Singh (KD Publications)
- Objective General English by SP Bakshi (Arihant)
- Objective English for Competitive Examinations by H M Prasad
- Quick Learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal
Stay tuned for more updates on SSC MTS tips for English Language Section!